With a wedding to go to, it was time to dust off the sewing machine and attempt to make a dress. It’s at least 15 years since I passed my sewing machine driving test at school and I hadn’t sewn a stitch since then. I combed the internet for patterns, but at lot were double dutch to me and I hadn’t a clue about grading. I decided the easiest way was going to be to try and copy and existing skirt that I knew fitted and add a basic top onto that.
Made a first draft out of some very 70s curtains of my parents. That gave me enough confidence to actually spend some money buying material. Not that much confidence however, so ikea fabric at £1.99 a metre it was! Being far too impatient to spend time cutting accurately, I spent instead a lot of time unpicking seams and resewing trying to get it right. I don’t think it’s too bad for a first effort and certainly it was a learning experience. Onwards and upwards.